Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Hunger Games afterthoughts


Can I takeback most of the things I said about The Hunger Games’ style being jarring toread? Well, it still is, a bit, in the first book, but it works for theadventure style of the book. I guess it also means I wasn’t prepared for howthe writing improves exponentially in Catching Fire and Mockingjay.

There’s onething that is obvious: Suzanne Collins can write action, and write it well. Onceshe gets started on the actions scenes you can’t put it down.

The thingabout book 2, Catching Fire, though, is that it’s part 1 of book 3, Mockingjay.Mockingjay picks up almost immediately after Catching Fire, so if you stopbetween the two books you basically want to kill yourself because it’s at acliffhanger. So in part, it’s somewhat like the literary version of the two partsof the Deathly Hallows movies – the first part is exposition and lead up to thesecond part. Of course the first part ends with the climax.

I’m going tohave to go back and reread both Catching Fire and Mockingjay in more detailsbecause I was skimming quite a bit just to get through the story last night butI have to say that I’m sufficiently speechless by the fact that Collins writesthree books and manages to build such a world and such a story that sucks you in but is still so disturbing all the time. (And then the United States starts to come up with the Internet censoring stuff and I do wonder whether it's the beginning of Panem, if not even Oceania.)

I stillthink the love triangld is weak but the good thing is that then it doesn’toverpower the rest of the story.

That said, rightnow I’m just floored by the last paragraph(s) of the series. It’s still thesame direct, rather blunt prose, but there’s so simply beautiful about it.
Peeta and Igrow back together. There are still moments when he clutches the back of achair and hangs on until the flashbacks are over. I wake screaming fromnightmares of mutts and lost children. But his arms are there to comfort me.And eventually his lips. On the night I feel that thing again, the hunger thatovertook me on the beach, I know this would have happened anyway. That what I need to survive is not Gale’sfire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself. What I needis the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead ofdestruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses.That it can be good again. And only Peeta can give me that.

So after,when he whispers, “You love me. Real or not real?”

I tell him,“Real.”
I’ll go offand search stuff about the movie now.